What are the benefits of Open BIM for organization in the AEC industry?
In contrast to CLOSED (or “proprietary”) BIM the OPEN strategy offers great benefits to building professionals:
- Project members can work with the best-of-breed solution of their respective field without risking exclusion from certain BIM projects.
- Project members can maintain full control over software upgrades independently from their peers in different projects they participate.
- Workflow integration results in greatly reduced coordination errors compared to sheer file compatibility of the different software tools.
- Due to open standards accessibility of BIM data is provided for the entire lifecycle of buildings including construction and operation.
Where can I find more information about Open BIM?
OPEN BIM is supported by various organizations that host related information in their own domains. To find some relevant information you may also choose to visit any of the following pages:
- http://openbim.com (buildingSMART)
- http://tekla.com/openbim (Tekla)
- http://graphisoft.com/openbim (GRAPHISOFT)
- http://www.nemetschek.eu/openbim (Nemetschek Allplan)
- http://www.vectorworks.net/openbim (Nemetschek Vectorworks)
- http://www.scia-online.com/en/openbim.html (Nemetschek Scia)
- http://www.dds-cad.net/ax18x0.xhtml (Data Design System)