What are the characteristics of the “traditional” approach?
Traditional approach to interdisciplinary collaboration basically means any form of 2D collaboration including paper, DWG or PDF or any other 2D forms. This approach can be characterized as follows:
- Limited coordination workflow → the whole workflow relies too much upon manual work and willingness of cooperation between the parties
- Heavy conversion of data → the whole workflow is based upon “dumb” intermediary formats so data conversion results serious information loss
- No utilization of others’ data → due to differences in documentation conventions the received 2D data cannot practically be further utilized
- No comprehensive coordination → due to the 2D nature of the workflow the project cannot be coordinated in one integrated environment
Where can I find more information about Open BIM?
OPEN BIM is supported by various organizations that host related information in their own domains. To find some relevant information you may also choose to visit any of the following pages:
- http://openbim.com (buildingSMART)
- http://tekla.com/openbim (Tekla)
- http://graphisoft.com/openbim (GRAPHISOFT)
- http://www.nemetschek.eu/openbim (Nemetschek Allplan)
- http://www.vectorworks.net/openbim (Nemetschek Vectorworks)
- http://www.scia-online.com/en/openbim.html (Nemetschek Scia)
- http://www.dds-cad.net/ax18x0.xhtml (Data Design System)